On January 13th, National Theatre Live will broadcast a live performance of the award-winning production
Starring original Broadway star Sahr Ngaujah
Directed & Choreographed by Tony Award winner Bill T. Jones
The broadcasts will be shown on screens throughout the U.S.
“There should be dancing in the streets. There has never been anything like this.”
– Ben Brantley, New York Times
National Theatre Live continues its season with the award-winning Broadway and London production of FELA! starring Sahr Ngaujah (2010 Tony Award nominee for Best Actor; Obie Award) directed & choreographed by Bill T. Jones (2010 Tony Award for Best Choreography). National Theatre Live is an initiative by the UK’s National Theatre to broadcast live performances onto cinema screens around the world.
In the New York City area, screenings continue at Brooklyn Academy of Music, NYU’s Skirball Center, City Cinema 123, Kew Gardens Cinema, Fairfield University (CT), the Shakespeare Theatre Company (DC) and more.
The broadcast will also be shown on screens across the United States including the Mann Theatre in Hollywood, Lensic Performing Arts Center in Santa Fe, NM, Coolidge Corner Theatre in Boston, MA, Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, MN, La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts in La Mirada, CA, Shalin Liu Performing Arts Center in Rockport, MA, Hopkins Center for the Arts at Dartmouth University and many more.
WHEN: THURSDAY, JANUARY 13th OR VARYING DATES LISTED BELOW.
Filmed live from the National’s Olivier Theatre, FELA! is a provocative and wholly unique hybrid of dance, theatre and music, exploring the extravagant, decadent and rebellious world of Afrobeat legend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. Using his pioneering music (a blend of jazz, funk and African rhythm and harmonies), FELA! reveals Kuti’s controversial life as an artist and political activist. Featuring many of Fela Kuti’s most captivating songs and Bill T Jones’s visionary staging, this original new creation has come via Broadway to the National Theatre.
For a complete list of U.S. dates, times & locations, please check: www.ntlive.com
Example broadcasts in major markets are as follows.
● Brooklyn Academy of Music (NY)
● Cinema 123 (NY, NY)
● Mann Chinese (Hollywood, CA)
● Kew Gardens Cinema (Queens, NY)
● Lensic Performing Arts Center (Santa Fe, NM)
● Hopkins Centre for the Arts (Hanover, NH)
● Fairfield University (Fairfield, CT) – January 13th & 15th
● Society of the Four Arts (Palm Beach, FL) – January 15th & February 5th
● Mary Riempa Ross Arts Centre (Lincoln, NE) – January 13th & 16th
● Coolidge Corner (Brookline, MA) – January 13th & 17th
● Shakespeare Theatre Company (DC) – January 17th
●Angelika Film Centre (Dallas, TX) – January 19th & 20th
●Allentown Symphony (Allentown, PA) – January 25th
● NYU Skirball Center for the Arts (NY, NY) – January 27th
● Guthrie Theater (Minneapolis, MN) – January 27th
● Third Rail Rep (Portland, Oregon) – January 29th & 30th, February 5th & 6th
● Michigan Theater (Ann Arbor, MI) – January 31st
● Sundance Kabuki (San Francisco, CA) – February 5th
● Tivoli Theatre (St. Louis, MO) – February 5th
● Theatre Works (Colorado Springs, CO) – February 1st, 2nd, 8th & 9th
● SIFF Cinema (Seattle, WA) – February 7th
Ticket prices vary by venue. The average ticket price is $20. Contact local venues for ticket information.
Following FELA! season two will continue on February 3, 2011 with the Donmar’s acclaimed production of KING LEAR directed by Michael Grandage starring Derek Jacobi.
NT Live is distributed by New York-based BY Experience, Inc. (www.byexperience.net)